Where is Queen Elizabeth now? click here

Thursday, January 8, 2015

To Southampton

January 8

The flight seemed to go on forever.  I listened to the twenty songs on my iPad, I played games on the plane system and on my iPad, I even managed to sleep for about an hour but time dragged.  They came around with breakfast just before 5AM.  I ate a little but was not very hungry.  At about a quarter to six the pilot announced that there were a number of other planes ready to land at six so we would circle until it was our turn.  I was watching the flight map on the console and it was strange watching the little plane going around and around and the information showing our distance to London (going up and down, up and down) and the ETA getting later and later.  We finally were able to land about 6:20.

Since I was close to the front of the Premium Economy cabin I was able to be one of the first off.  Then there was the hike through the airport.  It seemed like a couple of miles but I'm sure it wasn't.  Terminal 3 at Heathrow was not busy in comparison to Terminal 5 last year.  I waited for ages in the Immigration line last year, this year I walked right up to the front and did not have to wait.  The nice Immigration officer asked about my cruise, stamped my passport and I was on my way.  Walked down a few more corridors and down a ramp to the baggage claim area.  Before I was even able to get a trolley I saw my suitcase on the carousel.

On my way out there was an ATM where I could get cash to pay the driver.  Walked through Customs (nothing to declare) and saw the driver from Smiths for Airorts (it is kind of cool to have someone waiting just for you).  He grabbed the trolley and we went out to the car park.  We were headed out by about 7AM.

It was still dark and raining buckets.  If it had been me behind the wheel I would still be driving around Heathrow but the driver got us on the highway headed to Southampton in no time.  It took about an hour and a half to get to Southampton because of the rain, lots of traffic, and some road works.  Arrived at the Premier Inn about 8:45.

Although check-in time is 2 PM, I was able to get a room straight away (just like last year).  They have stopped charging for wi-fi so that was nice.  By 9:05 I was in bed starting my nap (yes, I know you are supposed to continue on to normal bedtime but I get cranky when I am tired so I slept).  Finally got up about 1:30 and found the rainy day of this morning had turned into a beautiful afternoon with blue skies.

Left around 2:30 to walk over to the shops.  First stop was Poundland(Americans, think Dollar Store) where I needed a few things.  Then went into West Quay shopping centre.  Hadn't gone very far when I saw a kiosk that said "The Watch Lab" - just what I needed!  They were able to change the battery in my dead watch for £9.95.  I just had a battery replaced at home for $15 so not a bad deal (I was expecting to pay more).  Then I noticed a Thomas Cook travel agency that exchanged foreign currency.  I have had two £20 Traveller's Checques since the 1990s.  They have gone back and forth with me a number of times.  I had not found any place to use or cash them last year.  Turns out Thomas Cook was going to stop cashing Traveller's Cheques as of the end of March.   The man told me that many banks in the UK had also stopped cashing them.   I gladly cashed them and paid the £3 service charge.  

Walked through the food hall at Marks and Spencer and picked up a couple of Cokes (the machine in the hotel is broken) and then through the car park and back to the hotel before dark.

Spending the evening catching up on the blog, checking out things on the internet and (shock and surprise) going to bed early!

Smooth sailing until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment