Where is Queen Elizabeth now? click here

Monday, January 19, 2015

New York City


January 19

Since I had no plans for today (except to call Delta) I did not set the alarm and slept until I felt like getting up which was 10:30.  Dressed and watched the morning show while waiting for a confirmation as to what time we will arrive in Fort Lauderdale.

After being reassured we would be arriving at 7 AM, I called Delta.  Evidently I had booked during a promotion so they had to charge me more but they waived a fee for changing the booking.  I ended up paying $128 but expect to get it back from either the CunardCare travel insurance I purchased or from Cunard (they said to go through your insurance first and then if any trouble, call Cunard).

Walked out on the deck but it was cold and windy (later checked and the Weather Channel said with the wind chill it was 33F/.5C) so I decided to stay on the ship.  It was very calm and quiet onboard with so many passengers off.

I ate at the Lido and then went to sit in the Queens Room before afternoon tea. (Hint - sit in the Queens Room at least 15 minutes before serving starts and you don't have to queue for a seat.)  Love the elegance of afternoon tea with the white tablecloths and napkins, the white-gloved servers, a pianist softly playing in the background, the little pots of jam, and endless tea, sandwiches, pastries, and scones.

A football match (soccer for Americans) was being shown in the pub so the Wipeout Trivia was in the Yacht Club.  Most of my usual team were not present so the one who was invited me to play with the group she had joined.  We came in second with 3200 points to the winners 3600.  Here is one I did not know (although others on my team did) -  What animals live in a drey?

Came back to my stateroom to get ready for the evening as we were set to sail at 6:30.  Turns out we left early (just before 6:10).  Last year I stood out on deck 9 by the Lido Pool.  We had excellent commentary on the places we passed as we sailed-away but it was really cold.  This year we had no commentary so I decided to watch the sail-away from my balcony.  Being on the starboard side, I would be able to see the Statue of Liberty.  It took just over an hour from when we set sail until we passed under the  Verrazano Narrows Bridge.  It was cold on my balcony but there was a little shelter from the wind.

Evening trivia before dinner.  Winners had 17, we had 15.   Brotophobia is the fear of ___.  Only three of us at dinner - Eion (previously misspelled as Ian), Irene (one of the new ladies) and myself.

Late evening trivia was scattegories.  We had 42 points to the winners 49.  David, Fran and I sat afterwards and talked.

The evening show ("Sing") was postponed because the sound system in the Royal Court Theatre stopped working today.

Purchased more internet time (that comes with the World Club program) so I will have enough to post pictures from the last few days.

Smooth sailing until next time!


My afternoon tea




No comments:

Post a Comment