Where is Queen Elizabeth now? click here

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Embarkation Day


January 10

Back to my old ways and did not go to bed until 2 am.   Woke up at 8  to a dreary, rainy day.  Rolled over and slept off and on for almost two hours then got up.  Watched the news and slowly got ready.

About 11:50 I took my bags down and met Pat in the lobby.  She brought her car around from the car park and it only took a few minutes to get to the stadium.  They took my bags and put them in a truck to take over to the ship.  Pat parked her car and we received numbers for the box we would wait in.  Each one held about ten people and there were dozens of rooms on different levels.  There was tea/coffee/juice, sandwiches and later cookies, candies and chips/crisps.

Pat recognized a magician who is a friend of hers and had her (Mandy) come in and perform for us.  I did not go downstairs to see the Jazz band or the oompah band.

The bigwigs have been by to see how things are going.  The Marketing Director, Angus Struthers and the CEO of Cunard, David Noyes have visited.

I just learned the Grills passengers (suites) were taken to a local hotel to wait while those who arrived late were waiting at the terminal because the stadium was full.

All in all it has not been too bad.  Yes, I would rather be on the ship but I feel Cunard has done its best in a trying situation (and at the last minute).  They have been good to make frequent announcements so we knew what was going on and the staff of the stadium have been great replenishing food and drink and checking if we needed anything.

At about twenty before seven we were told we could wait downstairs.  We were loaded on the bus about seven.  When we arrived at Ocean Terminal, Angus Struthers came on the bus and apologized again.  We had to sit on the bus about ten minutes and then entered the terminal to a long queue but it was moving quickly.  Security was tighter than last year and belts and shoes had to be removed.  Was finally on the ship at just about 8 pm.

My luggage had already been placed in my stateroom.  I read the program and then went to eat and meet my table mates  (more about them tomorrow).

Left dinner about 9:30 so I could walk around the ship and spot the differences after last year's drydock.  Back to my stateroom for my life jacket for the 10:30 muster drill which lasted about 25 minutes.  Before the drill the captain apologized and said that everyone was getting $50 of onboard credit (nice gesture on Cunard's part).  Then to my stateroom to exchange my life jacket for my coat so I could be out on deck for sail-away.


I sat in the Lido awaiting departure which finally happened about 12:24 am.  Walked out by the Lido pool but it was cold so did not stay long.

Back to my stateroom and stood out on my balcony for a few minutes and then unpacked.  Finally got my internet up and working then called it a night.

Mandy (the magician) and my friend Pat

 The pitch in the stadium with lights for growing the grass
The Southampton team


Smooth sailing until next time!

1 comment: